Ok, anybody looking to buy the URL - www.PerhapsWeGaveTheSteelersOffensiveLineTooMuchCredit.com, forget it. Unless you'd like to fight me for it.
By the way, what you don't see in the picture above is that the Offensive Line is collectively handing Ben to the Eagles Defense on that silver platter.
Wow, NINE SACKS! Ben was sacked, NINE TIMES! I mean, say what you want about his lack of foresight to throw the damn ball away, it's pretty tough to do anything as a QB when Broderick Bunkley is in your face two seconds after you snap the ball.
Anyways, this is going to be brief, because I'm trying to put this one behind me. Bottom line - the Defense kept us in a game we had no business being in, and the Offense squandered just about every opportunity we had to capitalize on momentum swings.
You know who had a good game? Jeff Reed. Two tries, two strikes, one from 53 yards! Proof positive that beer, does in fact equal strength. Also, Troy Polamalu. Dude, a one armed interception, his third through three games. Man, thank god he's back. It's just unfortunate he can't teach Ike Taylor how to do the same. Oh, and what about Bryant McFadden? Sure, both he and Face Me Ike let the Eagles complete an assload of 2-3 yard passes. But hey, second game starting, second game with an INT. Plus, that goatee he's got growing there is looking chiseled. Goatee = power.
Beyond that, the story was failure at every turn. Honestly, the best looking drive may have been the last one in which Byron Leftwich (color me real surprised) led us. Was Ben more hurt than we thought? Maybe. But if he wasn't before, he definitely is now.
Here's a list of people who I will not be talking to this week...
1. Chris Kemoeatu - Hey, dude - how about you don't move before the snap?
2. Kendall Simmons - Don't think I didn't see you completely miss on that Gaither sack (least I think it was the Gaither sack).
3. Willie Colon - I didn't like you before. I don't like you now. And I honestly think we should try replacing you with Max Starks. What's the worst that could happen? Nine sacks? Oh wait, that just happened...
4. Willie Parker - Ok, not totally your fault. But seriously, bounce it to the outside?
5. Mike Tomlin - Where was Lawrence Timmons? Rashard Mendenhall? The Offensive playcalling? I mean, what?
6. "Special" Teams - Quintin Demps' stat line - 2 returns, 59 yards. Who the hell is Quintin Demps? Come on, Ligashesky. Sort it out, man. Jeff Reed should not have to make tackles on kick returns.
7. Ben - Ben, Ben, Ben. Let's talk. I know shit is rough right now. You're getting hit more than you'd like. And your shoulder's hurt. I get it, man. I feel you. But here's a tip - sometimes you just have to throw the ball away. Like, when you're in your own end zone and after three seconds you have nowhere to go and are being chased by three rabid Eagles pass rushers. That, my friend, is a good time to throw the ball away. And by throw it away, I do not mean intentionally ground it so they get two points. Just so we're clear. But like I said, not nearly as much your fault as some other people (see 1, 2 and 3). Also, here's a head's up, when you let the play clock run all the way down, the Defense knows when you're snapping the ball and can time themselves accordingly.
Besides that, was I the only one that had a flashback to last year's Jets game when the Eagles tried a flea flicker? Man, that could've been real embarrassing. Oh wait, that game actually was real embarrassing. Whatever. Next week we've got our currently most threatening AFC North rival. We've got six days to ready ourselves. Let's hope we use it wisely. And Ben, heal up real quick. We can't win any big games if we can't move the ball. Can't rely on the running game every time...sad, but true. And I'm not even going to mention how both Brian Westbrook and Donovan McNabb were out at one point during that game. Oops, guess I just did.
I just want to leave you with one final thought - remember last December's Jacksonville game? Remember how we were down by 15 points going into the 4th quarter and came back to almost win it? Where was that offense today? I thought when we added Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed things would only get better.
PS - Is it wrong for me to say that I miss Russ Grimm?