Now, I want to make this abundantly clear from the get go - I love Mike Tomlin. I think he's a great Coach and a great fit with the Steeler team he has in place.
But has anyone besides me noticed that his favorite catch phrase is "the reality"? Or "a reality." Or my personal favorite, "the reality of it." Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I went back over some of Tomlin's quotes from this past season, and "the reality of it" was that this man uses that phrase in press conferences about as often as the Redskins draft Wide Receivers.
And that's cool. I mean, that's cool. I'm just pointing it out.
So for kicks, below is a list of all the Tomlin quotables from his Week 11 press conference after the Jets
debacle game in which he made full use of his ol' standby. And keep in mind, this was just ONE press conference. Someone should really make a highlight reel of all this...
- "But the reality is that if we are going to be a good football team we need to kick the ball away, we’ve got be able to run down, cover it and tackle people, on or inside the 20. That’s what good teams do."
- "The reality is that when you’re talking about Santonio (Holmes) and Troy (Polamalu), it’s going to require multiple people to step up and fill the roles that they provide for us."
- "Most of the time, the most physical team has a chance to win. That is not a reality we shy away from."
- "That is the reality of this business and that is why you step into stadiums prepared to play these games and plan to the best of your ability."
- "We work together as a football team. We do what we need to do to win. The reality is that both elements let us down and that is probably why we lost. If we had one or the other we probably would have had a chance to win, but the reality is that we didn’t."
- "Very rarely do plays unfold the way you diagram them. That is the reality of it."
- "As a coach, your level of expectation is that they are wired and ready to play on a weekly basis. That is what this business is about. The reality is that sometimes that is not the case and their play is usually an indication of that."
- "Every team in this league is a dangerous football team. This is the ultimate parity league and that is the reality of it."
- "You have to walk in and be ready to show and prove on a week in and week out basis. That is the reality of this league."
I'm thinking "I Love New York 3," myself...Hair or weave?