April 2, 2007

DayDream Fodder for a Monday Morning...


So I logged into my gmail this morning and to my surprise (pleasantly) I noticed that a few bloggers out there are talking about a possible trade with Arizona that would send Max Starks back to Russ Grimm's open arms and the Steelers the Cardinals number 5 selection overall in the forthcoming draft. Kudos to to my handy google alerts (nudge nudge google...) for this one.

If this is true, it'd be the best news I've heard for the Steelers in a while. Look, Max Starks is not as bad as his play last year might suggest (well ok, I don't know that for sure but it's my hunch), but if the Steelers have a chance to move that far up in the draft, I say we should do it. This is why we build through the draft, stockpiling talent - depth at those positions opens up a world of opportunity for us.

So Kevin Colbert/Mike Tomlin, if you guys are reading this - do us all a favor, dump Starks on Whis and Grimm, give Willie Colon a chance and draft at the number 5 spot. You can't lose.

Here's what worries me though - why are people talking about getting pass rushing DEs Gaines Adams and Jarvis Moss? Alright, I know why. But seriously, the 4-3? Come on guys, 3-4 is Steeler football. If you're drafting at the 5 spot, don't mess with a good thing. We can get good DEs undrafted, let alone in the first round. Then again, I am but a humble fan. What do I know anyway?

Now back to smacking myself back to consciousness...give me two more cups of coffee and maybe I'll be ready to write another post...maybe, but don't count on it.

3 comments:

domski43 said...

I would love to replace Max Starks with Joe Thomas. Big Ben's blind side would be secured and we could run left all day long with faneca, thomas, and stack the deck with heath miller on the left side.

Anonymous said...

I'm just about the World's Biggest Fan of 3-4 Defense™ outside of Dick LeBeau, but I also think it is in the team's best interest to be flexible enough to support both (much as the Ravens and Patriots do).

Having in-laws in South Carolina, I've been very exposed to both Gaines Adams and SC's Sidney Rice over the last two-plus years. I can say that either would be a huge pick-up, but Adams would be more helpful right now. However, it would have to be a tossup between Adams and Joe Thomas if we manage to get this pick.

Unfortunately, the rumors are looking to be a little less true than they previously had been. I'm keeping an eye on it though, because this could be absolutely huge.

Cotter said...

Yeah, definitely a great point! I would love to have that flexibility.

Given that we won't always be facing a traditional offense (IE 4-3 might be a better scheme against a west coast offense) it would probably be a great asset.

Just for the record, I'm not undermining the value of Gaines Adams, Sidney Rice or even Jarvis Moss. I was just saying if we were going to draft at the 5 spot, we have a world of possibilities open to us (such as Joe Thomas), and we should think accordingly.

Thanks for commenting!