February 25, 2007

What 'Choo Talkin' 'Bout Willis?


I'll bet Willis McGahee's never heard that one before...yeah, right...just like no one's ever said "Welcome Back" to me.

Anyways, it appears that per a report on ESPN.com, the Buffalo Bills are using the NFL combine not just to scout prospective draft picks, but also to scout prospective trade deals for standout RB Willis McGahee. Even more interestingly, the New York Giants have emerged as a team with significant interest.

To me, this begs the question, would McGahee make sense with the Giants? Which leads me to an even more pressing question, is Brandon Jacobs really as promising as he seemed this past season? If the answer to this is no, then I could see where the Giants would want to get a guy like McGahee - a major presence in the backfield and in the locker room - to replace what they lost in Tiki Barber. But if the answer is yes, which I tend to think is more realistic, then I really don't think its a constructive use of their dollars.

I think the Giants ought to focus more on how they are going to start establishing themselves in the NFC East. There were moments last year where they seemed like a team to beat, but then as we all know there were plenty of times where they looked like they didn't really care whether they won or lost. What's worse, I haven't seen anything from franchise QB Eli Manning to indicate that he's the team's leader. Say what you will about Peyton Manning (and believe me, I have and I will continue to), but he is the guy on that team that everyone looks to for leadership. I don't think Eli is establishing himself similarly in New York.

Only time will tell though, and really, getting a guy like Willis McGahee can never hurt you. I just think McGahee is more like a guy who is the one and only. He's not a guy like Tiki that carries the bulk of the load only to give the ball on the goal line to your pounder. McGahee is an inside, outside, all around kind of guy, who if healthy can be a real asset.

Interesting to see where this all goes...

No comments: