February 25, 2007

Don't Blame Big Ben, His Feelings Were Hurt...


If you're a Steelers fan, I'm sure you've heard by now that Ken Whisenhunt commented to reporters yesterday that Steelers "Superman" Big Ben Roethlisberger's struggles this past season were more than likely due to his unfortunate off season troubles.

While this probably isn't the most shocking thing I've heard all week, at least someone finally said it. But the nugget I found most interesting out of Whisenhunt's overall commentary was this:

"Well, he's always been very resilient in anything," Whisenhunt said of the effect it might have on the quarterback. "I think he's a competitor first and foremost. When he gets on the field, he's going to compete, he's going to have success."
Hearing this from a guy who knows the Great Number 7 better than pretty much anyone else in the league gives me a sense of confidence in Big Ben's upcoming 2008 campaign, something I had been kind of on the fence about (just being honest).

For what it's worth, though Whisenhunt is gone, I still respect his assessment and analysis of the game and it's intricacies. He is a smart dude, and perhaps his most respectable accomplishment was the establishment of Big Ben as one of the game's best in just a couple short years. Ben had the raw talent, but someone had to work with him to harness it. Course, the Whis didn't do this alone, but hey, I'll give him some credit.

I agree Ken, Big Ben will be back in full force in '08, perhaps even with more offensive firepower via a big name WR in this year's draft?

No comments: