The air was coldI don't think there are enough words in the world to express how absolutely awesome it was to watch the Steelers DOMINATE the Patriots the way they did yesterday. 33-10, but it could easily have been 33-3 had it not been for Big Ben's unsightly interception on the 1st drive of the game.
The rain was falling
The defense was stout
And the offense, NOT stalling
There were some scares early on
My stomach was in tears
But that wasn't the game
So much as it was the beers
In the end we prevailed
We told those dudes what was up
And by the end of the game
No beer remained in my cup
After last season's debacle, which effectively marked our downward spiral, I can't tell you how encouraging it was/is to see the Steelers assert themselves on both sides of the ball. And hell, Bruce Arians even called a pretty good game! Someone better check to see if hell froze over and/or if cats and dogs are living together!
So let's do the usual Monday morning routine, and review this week's "Things That Were Awesome," "Things That Were Not Awesome," and "Things That Made Me Want To Punch Myself."
THINGS THAT WERE AWESOME
1. DOMINATING THE PATRIOTS and scoring 30 unanswered points in the process!
2. Master Fly W. Large - 16 rushes for 87 yards, at 80% health
3. Silverback - 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 10 total tackles, 7 solo
4. The Law - 5 total tackles, 3 solo, 1 awesome INT
5. Patriots 3rd Down efficiency = 1/13
6. Reservoir's waffle fries with veggie chili and cheese
7. Seeing New England's stands emptying with 5 minutes left in the game
8. Santonio's punt return for 29 yards
9. Ryan Clark's hit on Wes Welker - penalty or not, this was awesome...
10. Ben only getting sacked once
THINGS THAT WERE NOT AWESOME
1. Jeff Reed missing a 40 yarder in the 4th
2. Binladichick. He will always occupy a spot here
3. 8 penalties for 88 yards
4. Randy Moss' hands - not awesome for New England, but totally awesome for us
5. Sansmokio's hands - touchdown catch notwithstanding
THINGS THAT MADE ME WANT TO PUNCH MYSELF
1. Carey Davis fumbling the opening kickoff
2. Big Ben's 1st Quarter pick
3. Tec and I walking a good mile to the bar in cold wind and rain
4. 3rd Quarter pass interference call on Face Me Ike
5. 4th Quarter unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Face Me Ike
Sadly, the Ravens played the Bengals yesterday. So it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that they were going to advance themselves in the standings. They're now 8-4, while we're 9-3. Certainly not a comfortable division lead by any means, but I can't really be worried about that today. What happened yesterday, that was just too awesome!
So, what do you guys think? Statement game? Big win? Did you also enjoy watching Bill Belichick crying on the sidelines?
And just because, here are some other great shots...
Chad Johnson and Michael Flatley've got nothin' on Big Ben...
Aww, so sad...
Silverback, eh? He looks more like a Great White in this one...
There's blood in the water...
That's 65 collective years sacking your ass, Matt Cassel!