February 1, 2008

So You Wanna Beat Tom Brady...

"I like when I don’t get touched."
- Tom Brady
I wish I could say I was about to tell you all the magic secret to stoping Tom Brady. But I'm not. I'm no expert, nor do I claim to be. And even if I could, it probably wouldn't even matter. Everyone says do this, do that. But here's the thing that sets the Patriots apart from many other teams that are just "good" -- they dictate to you how you're going to play. Defense AND Offense.

So the questions become things like - Who do the Giants key on? Will they be facing a 3-4 or a 4-3 New England scheme? How do you tackle Tom Brady with all that hair gel upstairs?

And the funny thing is - this isn't something that should exclusive to the Patriots (especially not the gelified QB...kidding). Teams that are able to do many things well, and consistently well at that, dictate how their opponents play them. They force you to plan for one or two of the most feared situations, when in reality you could be up against an infinite number of different looks (ok, maybe infinite is an exaggeration, but whatever).

The only thing I think I've ever admired about New England...or at least respected...is their ability to adapt. They have so many different looks, and they play the chess match that is an NFL game better than anyone else (right now). That's why they've been so successful. They keep you guessing. So even before you get to the game on Sunday, you have to wonder - how are we going to play them? Certainly weighs on your mindset during practice...or so I imagine.

Anyhow, there are certainly some sure fire ways to slow them down/possibly prevail. Namely, hit Tom Brady and the Patriots receivers as much and as forcefully as you possibly can. Then run the shit out of the ball, wear down their borderline geriatric linebackers, and take a few shots down the field when you've got them off guard. But who friggin' cares? Go Giants! The first and probably only time I'll ever say that...

PS - Favorite news item of the day =
Senator wants to know why NFL destroyed Patriots spy tapes

God bless you Arlen Specter.

Enjoy the Super Bowl friends! Drink a few 'Ahrns for me and pour a little out for the Steelers 2007-2008 season.

End communication.

Ballhype: hype it up!

8 comments:

tecmo said...

Super Bowl...eh.

Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet...better.

Anonymous said...

NY Freakin' Giants!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Never thought i'd be so glad to see a non-Steelers team win the Superbowl.

Tough fuckin' sjit, NE Cheatriot fans. Boo. Fuggin'. Hoo.

Muwhahahaahaha...

domski43 said...

loving life today! nothing better than seeing the pats walk off the field losers! perfect season gone! karma is a bitch...thats what you get for cheating. eli manning!?!

Anonymous said...

The Giants beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl (their perfect regular season and the fact that it was a New York team that beat them making the loss even more bitter) comes in at a close second behind the Steelers winning the SB. I never thought I would root for the Giants, but I was screaming at the top of my lungs last night. Congrats, Plax.

Anonymous said...

All is right in the football world.

Gotta love karma...

troubledjew said...

if u want to watch the steel curtain
http://www.youtube.com/user/WIICTVFAN

troubledjew said...

lynn swanns catch in superbowl x at around 4:30
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8221629693493615442&q=suber+bowl+x&total=124&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=7

Anonymous said...

"My name is Tom Brady, and i only lost the biggest Superbowl EVAR because i was playing hurt."