April 9, 2007

As Steeler Nation Turns...


By the looks of it, draft pundits have a new prediction for the Steelers first round selection - Patrick Willis, Inside Linebacker out of Ole' Miss.

There's been a lot of speculation around the Steelers draft needs, mainly focused on three areas - Offensive Line, Linebacker and Cornerback (although it's widely acknowledged that a third running back could also be a possibility), with Linebacker popping up most often. As I've mentioned before, we've heard a lot of Jarvis Moss, Lawrence Timmons, due to their versatility, but Willis (at least as far as I know) is a new name to pop up.

After looking over some of the information available about the 6'1", 242 pound LB coming off of a Butkus Award-winning Senior season, I think in terms of attitude/character he's a great fit. The only concern I have, also shared by other speculators, is his size. But frankly, I'm a big Paul Posluzsny fan, and he ain't any bigger. Plus, Willis has the best 40 time out of all top linebacker prospects, and is said by many a top LB available in next months draft.

But like I said above, here's what could speak volumes for the guy -

"Has overcome a lot in his life to get where he is...Is heavily involved in community service...Is a great person and player who will be an asset to a team both on and off the field...Is simply one of the best linebackers available this year."
If Willis is as responsible and mature as it sounds, he could be not only a great player, but could grow into a great leader, filling the void of charismatic defensive leader vacated when the Steelers unloaded Joey Porter on the Dolphins (call it whatever you want).

You know what though? I actually hate speculating on what the Steelers will do in the draft because honestly, I have plenty of faith in the organization. We have almost always made great drafting decisions and whoever we end up selecting I am sure will be an asset. Too bad that's the only thing there is to discuss right now, so I'll continue to do my best to speculate with a smile.

Read Patrick Willis Official Bio here

1 comment:

domski43 said...

Sounds like a Steelers player to me. I think Patrick Willis would be perfect fit into our defensive scheme for the present and our possible future transition into the 4-3. I hate to say it, but he is a much more versatile linebacker than Posluszny. Posluszny is a great sure tackler and has a great instinct for the game, but does not posess a great ability to rush the passer. He reminds me a lot of Larry "put out the cigarette" Foote, which is in no way shape or form an insult. Willis seperates himself in his ability to not only rush the passer, but cover deep for a linebacker. This versatility is waht the Steelers need at an aging linebacker position. Plus, did anyone see the national championship game? Ohio State looked like a high school team playing, the mighty members of the SEC, Florida Gators. I would take a productive player in the SEC over a productive player in the Big Ten. Of course, no offense to Penn State.