July 20, 2007

2007 - Year Of Redemption....

2006 is over. Sure, we didn't make the playoffs. But some important things happened after last season that probably were a long time in the making. And for those, I think we are better off going into this season.

Nonetheless, one point I think all of us Steeler fanatics can agree on is that 2007 will present some challenges, but all of us, ever optimistic, recognize that we have a great opportunity to rise to the occasion. New coach, healthy star Quarterback, solid draft class, a more established Willie Parker. 2007 seems pretty bright for the Steelers.

Still, like I say, there will be challenges, a few of which Bucky Brooks enumerates in one of his recent SI.com articles. Let's examine these, shall we:

Challenge #1: Handle the Alan Faneca situation.
What Alan Faneca situation? Kidding, but not really. I think this has pretty much handled itself. I mean Faneca understands this is the end of the road for him and the organization and he's accepted it. Plus, he's made it crystal clear that he has no intention of sabotaging the teams success. So really, what Alan Faneca situation? [Granted, Brooks' column is like two weeks old...sorry, I'm slow]

Challenge #2: Rebuild Ben Roethlisberger's confidence.
Nothing pumps a guy up like winning. Lucky for us, our first five games are against the Browns, Bills, 49ers, Cardinals and Seattle respectively. Historically, and maybe this was a Cowher thing, the Steelers have fared much better when they've built momentum coming out of the gate (though 2005 was nice also...I guess). Similarly, they've fared much better when they've gone up early in games and then gone to the running game to control the flow. However, that was when we had the Bus plowing out of the backfield. With Willie Parker, the offense produces a different kind of threat. The team will have to learn how to be efficient passing the ball and Big Ben has already said he is excited at this prospect. So it doesn't seem too far from the realm of possibility that Big Ben could get off to a big start against some seemingly weaker teams, which I think would bring his confidence back to a level where we can enjoy our success comfortably.

Challenge #3: Blend elements of the "Tampa Two" into their traditional 3-4 defense.
Didn't we effectively invent the Tampa Two? I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, we've already begun to do this. By drafting guys like Woodley and Timmons, and having Troy Polamalu (and Brett Keisel so I hear) hitting anything that moves, we're well on our way. I do worry a little about having James Farrior or Larry Foote in coverage, but until they give me a reason not to, I'll have faith. So yeah, I think we're really thinking about mixing up and revamping the defensive strategy under Tomlin. I gotta say, hearing all this, it gives me confidence. Tomlin obviously had success in Tampa and Minnesota, and the fact that he's just enough players coach and just enough disciplinarian, will help motivate our team (defense included) to stand out this season.

With that, I say, Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go! Cheers to all and enjoy your respective weekends resting easy knowing training camp starts Monday.

PS - Interesting tidbit - Fox Sports ranked our line 11 out of 16...actually better than I would have expected. Bad news is the Bengals line somehow made it into the top 10 (Number 4!) even without Steinbach...guess I hear that though...

1 comment:

domski43 said...

Cotter,
I have solved all of these burning issues with the Steelers on Madden '07 with my XBOX360! Do you think I should send Tomlin, Arians, and Lebeau my strategies?

Love,
Adam Carville

P.S. Thanks for the XBOX i heart you and jess so much xoxoxox