June 18, 2007

Has The Whole World Gone Crazy??

Or is it just Peter King?

I don't know that I've ever really taken Peter King seriously, but either way, King continues to make a case for insanity via his most recent "Monday Morning QB" column, in which he ranks the would-be starting QBs for all NFL franchises, 1-32.

So where does Big Ben rank? The answer - a less than impressive #17. Crazy, I know! But if you think that's nuts, wait until you hear who he ranks ahead of Ben.

Here they are (in actual ranking order - ie I'm not making this up):

  • #6 Matt Hasselbeck - How many TDs did he have in Super Bowl XL again? Oh yeah, one, I remember.

  • #7 Vince Young - For the record I have nothing against Vince Young, but umm...he's only played one half of a season as a starter, so how can you rank him 10 spots ahead of Big Ben?

  • #9 Jon Kitna - Enough said.

  • #10 Jay Cutler - Another guy who has yet to complete a full season, but also a guy who had some rough spots out of the gate when named starter this past November.

  • #11 Tony Romo - See #10 and #7. Also, reference NFC Wild Card game.

  • #12 Donovan McNabb - Admittedly, this might be due to some prior bias on my part, but I really just don't think McNabb is that great of a QB. He throws pretty good 5 yard outs to Brian Westbrook in the flat but I don't think of him as one of the league's elite, now or at any point during his career. Certainly not while pissing away a real shot at winning a Super Bowl...

  • #15 Chad Pennington - Wasn't it just one year ago that this guy was competing with Patrick Ramsey and (one could argue) Kellen Clemens for his starting position?
So I guess you could say I wasn't exactly satisfied with this assessment. I mean, I could understand not ranking Ben in the top 10, but really it was more who he ranked higher that surprised me. Seems to me like Peter King is a little out of touch with reality. Or maybe I'm wrong. What do you think??

Digg!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i mean...big ben having that whole "motorcycle smashing into car and i can't throw straight" problem might push him out of the top ten.

...but what do YOU think?

Black n Gold said...

Peter King is officially an idiot. Ben was not a top QB last year. That's for sure, but when you say "I value postseason success" and then have 11 out of the top 15 with ZERO playoff victories, that's just a wee bit hypocritical.

And how exactly does Brett Favre get to be 14th on this list? let's see here...victories: 12/32, postseason victories: 0 (with 0 appearances as well), TD-INT ratio worse than any other player on the whole list. Stop slobbing, Peter. Go join John Madden in front of the almighty Brett.

The list as it should be (according to Peter's criteria):
Manning, Brady, Brees, Palmer, Bulger, Roethlisberger, Hasselbeck, Rivers, Cutler, either McNair or Delhomme at the 10.