February 4, 2007

Super Bowl XLI...


It's Super Sunday, the day is finally here. Bittersweet since the Steelers have long been out of it. Nonetheless, I am sure it will be an entertaining day.

I had planned on talking about all of the matchups this morning, but frankly I don't have the energy, and I don't know how much different my commentary would be than what you (implying someone will actually read this) have heard all week on ESPN.

So instead I will just say this - the game tonight will come down to two things - time of possession and special teams. Since this is primarily Colts offense vs. Bears defense, it will really be - can the Bears contain Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark and Joseph Addai? I think the way to do this is to get after Peyton. Make him scramble out of the pocket. Get into his comfort zone. He only got sacked once in every 40 rushes during the regular season. Hence, he has not needed to be adept at making quick decisions because of the rush. Be in the backfield every play and you will win the game.

In terms of special teams I think you will see this come down to three guys (not surprisingly) - Adam Vinatieri, Robbie Gould, and Devin Hester. Most interesting will be Devin Hester. If he can shine on every return, he could set the Bears up nicely to score points with a QB who could be a little shaky out of the gate. But ultimately, since I agree with the general belief that this will be a close game decided by a field goal, it will come down to the kickers. I just hope for Chicago's sake it does not come down to Adam Vinatieri. If it does...good luck, guy is ice cold and he will hit whatever field goal they ask him to.

So with that, enjoy the game this evening. I know I will!

Good talk, see you out there.

No comments: