July 17, 2007

Backup QBs...Like So Hot Right Now...

Yep, with the success of Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo and Damon Huard last season, the reliable backup QB has now become a hot commodity in the NFL -- At least a lot more so than it(they) had been in the past. So it wasn't surprising to see Clark Judge of CBSSportsline's list of theTop 5 Backups published last Friday, which piqued my interest (Sidenote - I gotta stop reading these lists, it's killing my brain cells).

Much to my satisfaction and in a reaffirmation of what we Steeler fans already know very well, Judge noted our man Charlie Batch holding it down at a respectable #5 (of only 6 noted). Finally! A list that got something right (though I guess that's a relative statement). But what I thought was even better, was that in his praise of Batch, Judge actually provides one of the most accurate and well-stated synopses of Charlie's skills and character that I've ever read (not that there's a ton to compare with...):

"I'll tell you what I like about Charlie Batch: Though he seldom plays, he never complains. He's smart. He's tough. He's a hard worker and a supportive veteran. And he produces when called on."
The thing about that is, it's kind of the model of what you'd want from any player. I mean what team doesn't look for guys who are smart, tough, hard working, supportive and positive? The Steelers have made a living off of guys like this. In fact, I'm pretty sure this could be called the "Rooney Way" (to go along with the Rooney Rule). Too bad in the age of flashiness, things like hard work, intelligence, toughness and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get the job done are so frequently under-appreciated and under-recognized.

Anyways, in case you're interested, the full list looks like this:
1. David Carr, Carolina
2. Brian Griese, Chicago
3. David Garrard, Jacksonville
4. Chris Simms, Tampa Bay (which I don't think is really fair...)
5. Batch
Honorable Mention - Mark Brunell
The only disputes I have with this are - Chris Simms being anywhere on it, because last time I checked he started out last season as a Starter (yes he'll be a backup this year, but can you say that he's proven as a backup?), and Brian Griese, who gets a lot of media/analyst love but I really don't think is all that great...let alone clutch enough to get the big wins when you need them - an area in which Charlie Batch has excelled. But I'll just leave it be. Wasted enough energy this summer bellyaching about where the media rank our Steelers. Let's just suffice it to say that we all love our team, individually and collectively. We know where our guys rank with us. 'Nuff said.

Any comments? Dissension of opinions? Want to call me an idiot? Feel free to leave any and all...

PS - If anyone has anything really newsworthy, by all means let me know. Because this list crap and bits and pieces of news from the offseason frankly just ain't cuttin' it for me...

3 comments:

Matt Loede said...

No doubt we are lucky to have made the move to have Batch as the backup. We would not have beaten Miami with "Tommy Gunn" last year, and don't forget in 05 he got us two HUGE wins over the Packers and Browns (before he got hurt). Batch is the perfect backup for Ben.

Black n Gold said...

I agree with what you said about Simms, but shouldn't you have said it about David Carr as well? He may have been on a different team, but he was still a starter last year (and has been since the day he was drafted for that matter).

Cotter said...

RE: black n gold -- Yeah I see what you're saying. I think my rationale was that Carr is pretty obviously going to be a backup in Carolina since Jake Delhomme is the established starter there, whereas Simms was displaced as starter by the Bucs signing Jeff Garcia, so technically you could say he lost his starting job, whereas Carr just downgraded himself.

Still I think Carr got a raw deal in Houston with that OL. I think he's better than his numbers show. Might make a great backup though, who knows? Can't be any worse than Chris Weinke...